So at last we finished our fence project, it took us longer than we thought mainly because of the weather, as you have seen on the news it has been very bad, not as bad here as in some areas around us but we would now like some of the old currant bun, if not for us for the veg garden and fruit trees…
The fence is looking very good,we designed it around the system used in the UK were they get strong winds, basically it is post and rail then the boards are fitted on each side of the rails alternately which allows the wind to pass through without putting excess strain on the fence in general.
All the timber came from the Maruna woodyard, Jano Maruna and his family live in the house next to ours and he and his brothers own the main timber business in this area, the boards are mostly cedar and are from the outer parts of a tree not joinery quality but ok for this type of job, we spent two mornings stripping the bark from the edges because it often has a grub living there which will damage the timber and is a threat to any other wood, so as most of our houses are timber construction it makes sense to limit the danger, the bark is still stripped by the traditional method with an adze which is good for arm muscle building we can assure you.
270 boards later and we think you will agree that the finished product is very easy on the eye, each board is unique and I just love the knots.
So with the trellis up on the patio and the fence completed our main jobs for this year are done, we also electrified the sheep enclosure as they were constantly trying to break through to get to the grass on the other side, 7000volts keeps the buggers in though and it was a hell of a shock to the local cats, can’t beat a bit of home entertainment eh, now can we please please have some sunshine.